Recipe provided by Kenwood for use with the Kenwood Cooking Chef.
Makes: 10 buns
Cooking time: Filling – 2hrs 30mins; Dough – 2hrs 15mins
500g strong white flour
50g caster sugar
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking powder
145ml tepid water
7g sachet fast action yeast
145ml whole milk
1 onion, sliced
300g shoulder of pork, roughly diced
2 garlic cloves
1 tbsp dark soy sauce
2 tsp ginger, minced
120ml chicken stock
Coriander, baby cucumber, pickled radish and chopped chillies to garnish
1 tbsp vegetable oil
Extra vegetable oil for brushing
Stir assist clip
1.Place the flour, caster sugar, salt and baking powder into the Cooking Chef bowl.
2. Mix together the tepid water and yeast into a jug and leave for 5 minutes or until it becomes frothy.
3. Pour this yeast mixture along with the milk into the dry ingredients and mix on slow with the dough hook until it comes together into a smooth dough.
4. Knead in the machine for a further five minutes, on speed 1.
5. Tip onto a floured surface and knead by hand for a further minute to ensure the dough is smooth and does not stick to the work surface.
6. Place into an oiled bowl, cover with oiled cling film and allow to rest until doubled in size – roughly an hour.
7. Set up the Cooking Chef by selecting the ‘Slow cook’ programme on ‘high’ and follow instructions on display screen.
8. Put the onion, pork, garlic, soy sauce, ginger and chicken stock into the cooking chef bowl and cook on programme.
9. Once cooked, remove the pork draining any excess cooking liquid and put to one side on a plate.
10. Pull the tender meat into fine shreds with two forks. Put aside to cool. Clean the Cooking Chef bowl ready for the next stage.
11. Cut out 12 x 10cm (4in) squares of non-stick baking paper.
12. Remove the dough from the bowl and roll into a fat sausage. Divide the dough equally into 12 equal portions.
13. Roll each portion into a tight ball. Flatten each ball into neat ovals with a rolling pin about 12.5 cm long and 8.5cm inches wide.
14. Brush the ovals lightly with vegetable oil and fold each one over. Lay each one onto a square of greaseproof paper. Leave to rest for 30 minutes.
15. Add approximately 650ml water to the Cooking Chef bowl.
16. Fit the steamer basket on top of the bowl. Place the dough buns on the waxed paper in the steamer basket – you can fit in four at a time so you will need to repeat this until all are done.
17. Lay a large piece of greaseproof paper on top of the buns.
18. Select the ‘Steam’ programme. Adjust timer to 20 minutes and steam buns in three batches.
19. Remove the steamed buns from the steamer, peel open and leave to cool slightly for a couple of minutes.
20. Fill with pork filling and garnish with baby cucumbers, pickled radish, chilli and spring onions.
Please note that these are best served warm.